Monday, August 18, 2008

Steelers Sign a Familiar Face

Sunday, the Steelers signed defensive end Orpheus Roye.

Pittsburgh originally drafted Roye as a 6th round pick in 1996 played with them until he was signed by the Cleveland Browns as an unrestricted free agent in 2000. He was released earlier this year.

"He is a veteran defensive lineman, a guy who knows how to play the game," said head coach Mike Tomlin. "He is a professional. We will see what he is capable of doing and work him out. He had a very solid workout and seems to be in pretty good shape, so we will continue on him the next couple of weeks and see if he can find a seat on the bus, if you will."
"I know I can help," said Roye. "I have been around for a while. I was used to this defense. It will take me a while to get back, but I think I can contribute."
Already having the advantage of playing under Dick LeBeau and John Mitchell will definitely be a plus for Roye (and the Steelers).

"The defense looks pretty much the same," said Roye. "Everything is still good. You have to come out here and work. I am coming to a good defense. I have to come here and help them win. I have to find my role and do what I can to help the team win."

No comments: