Thursday, August 21, 2008

Starters Will See More Playing Time on Saturday

Steelers.com has an article posted about the starters to play more in this upcoming pre-season game against the Vikings on Saturday. That comes as no surprise - isn't that what they usually do (the closer and closer it gets to the regular season, we see the starters play more and more - maybe not.)?

Whatever the case, they're ready! They're itching to play just as we are to see them play! Hines Ward says that they prepare like any other game; the difference being that they won't use alot of the gameplay strategies as they would in the regular season - don't want to give that away (unless it's agains the Patriots and then it doesn't matter what you do or don't "give away," they'll see it at some point when they tape your practice / game!!). Preparing as they normally would allows them to be ready and creates a better situation for they guys to avoid getting hurt.

Newly acquire backup QB, Byron Leftwich, feels more ready for this game then the one last Thursday when he was sort of "thrown in" after being signed only a few days which isn't much time to study the playbooks.

“I am feeling more comfortable,” said Leftwich. “I have a better understanding of what we are trying to do offensively. It was a tough situation last week when I only had two days. At the same time it’s getting better."
“I don’t want to say I am fully getting the offense but I am getting the offense to the point where I know where the ball needs to go and what we are trying to do. I am looking forward to it because I have a week to prepare instead of two days. I am anxious and excited to go back out there on Saturday.”
He may think he could get more familiar with the offense and he's probably right, but I'm surely feeling comfortable with him as our #2 guy - I like him all around!

No comments: