Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Culpepper Not Willing to Accept Back-Up Role

Even though both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper visited the Steelers training camp today and the Steelers were interested in signing them both in order to create a competition - the quarterback who wasn't the best fit would be released or traded at the end of pre-season - Culpepper was not willing to do that without a guarantee.

TIOPS is reporting that both quarterbacks were offered a contract by Pittsburgh, but Culpepper was not willing to sign with the Steelers without being guaranteed a roster spot. An ESPN.com article also reports that "Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job."

Leftwich understands and is comfortable with his role on the team.

"You've got no chance when you've got (No.) 7 here. Only a fool would come here and believe that (in) Week 1, he's going to be the starter," said Leftwich,the seventh overall draft pick in 2003 who passed for 9,042 yards, 51 touchdowns and 36 interceptions and was 24-20 as a starter in Jacksonville. "Ben's a (heck)of a quarterback, and I understand that."

"It's different because you're not the guy. We all know who the guy is here. My job is to prepare myself every day just in case I'm needed," said Leftwich.


I was anxious to see where these 2 quarterbacks would lead. I was most excited to know that the team would have a chance to sign 1, if not 2, veterans even though I wasn't familiar with them as players (only by name). Hearing from Leftwich today made me feel certain he's definitely the right man for the job and that he is smart enough to know where he fits in on the team. As I told my husband today, it's better to be paid to do "nothing" then to do nothing and not get paid. Leftwich realizes that it's an opportunity whereas Culpepper isn't yet willing to get paid to do "nothing" because his ego, pride, whatever you want to call it, is getting in the way!

No comments: