Wednesday, July 30, 2008

WARD: Brightest Offensive Player

Add "Smartest Non-Quarterback Offensive Player in the NFL" to the list of awards / achievements Hines Ward has earned.

ESPN.com recently conducted a survey among head coaches which asked them to choose the player they felt was the smartest offensively (and were unable to choose players from their own team).

"You wonder once in a while what the coaches think of you, and this is really a nice honor," Ward said of the results.

Said one AFC coach: "Hines has been one of the smartest players in the league for a long time. He just has a knack for the game."

There's a reason for his high football IQ. He earned it at the University of Georgia where he learned to play nearly every offensive position on the field - quarterback, wide receiver, tailback, and even punt returner!

"I had to know what was going on with the offense because I did everything in college," the 32-year-old receiver said. "So being a smart player was sort of necessary. I had no choice. … When I came to the NFL, I think I knew the basics of everything and the transition was fast. Sure, the NFL is much more complicated, but I was able to adjust pretty well."

Also noteworthy, Dan Rooney was voted as the league's best owner by the coaches.

"Everything permeates from the top down," Tomlin said. "I don't care what you talk about, whether it's a football team or a business. Our owners'reputation is well-deserved. They're awesome people. They're football people. It's one of the things that's better than you even anticipate."

No comments: